With the New Year here, we all start thinking about New Year’s resolutions again. If your New Year’s resolution is to begin a new exercise program, here are a few things to be reminded of:
1. Ease into the program – some of us have done little if any exercise, or exercise of this type in a while, so we have to work to gain endurance again.
2. Expect some soreness – if you are just starting back into an exercise again, muscles may become still and sore. Stretching is key to prevent this from happening. And if stiffness and soreness persists you may have irritated things more than normal, so check with your chiropractor to see if you may need re-alignment of the spine to prevent further aggravation and damage.
3. Keep motivated – it may take time to see results, especially if one of your new year’s is losing weight or toning muscle.
4. Try having a workout partner-a friend, spouse, or family member participate with you in your exercise workout. Then you hold each other accountable for continuing the program.
5. Have fun – When exercise is enjoyable it is easier to stay with it and not become bored. Then it becomes a part of your day and soon your same New Year’s resolution won’t need to be repeated year after year.
Dr. Andrea Hornstein owns and operates Hornstein Family Chiropractic in Wahpeton