• Hankinson’s 18th annual Oktoberfest: Will be held throughout the day on Saturday, Sept. 28 in Hankinson. The day begins with a Kolorfest Fun Run and Walk at 9 a.m. at the Veteran’s Memorial at Lake Elsie in rural Hankinson and culminates with a fireworks display at 8:30 p.m. Children’s crafts, games, face painting and a money hunt will keep the family entertained throughout the day. Modeled after the Oktoberfest held each September in Germany, the Hankinson Oktoberfest began in 2001 to commemorate the German traditions of the Hankinson community and its neighbors. Look to the News Monitor for more information about what will be taking place that day.
• Life Line Screening: Will be held at the Saturday, Oct. 5 at the Hankinson Community Center. Learn more about your risk for cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, diabetes and other health conditions. Screenings can check for plaque buildup in arteries, related to risk for heart disease, stroke and overall vascular health; HDL and LDL cholesterol levels; diabetes risk; bone density as a risk for osteoporosis; and kidney and thyroid function.
• Area Farmers Market: 3-7 p.m. on Mondays through October at Hankinson City Park. Crafters and independent consultants are welcome. Bring fresh and homemade items to the Farmers Market — produce, herbs, jellies, eggs, crafts, canned items and home-baked goods. Local fundraiser food stand is available from 5-7 p.m. each Monday.
Vendor information is available at Post Hardware or call Todd Buck at 701-640-1919 or Jill Post at 701-403-4812.
• Richland County health clinics: Family planning clinic held throughout the month from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Information on all birth control methods, STD testing and treatment. Provider visits scheduled by appointment the second Wednesday of every month. Foot care clinic will be held 11:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 20 at Wahpeton Senior Center. Foot care is provided to clients not able to trim their own toenails due to physical limitations. Immunizations held throughout the month. There is a fee for these services. Call the health department at 701-642-7735 for more information.
• American Legion Bullis Post 84 and its Auxiliary, Lidgerwood, meets at 7:30 p.m. the third Monday of the month at the American Legion Hall.
• American Legion Eberhard Post 88, Hankinson, meets at 7 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month. with a meal and meeting to follow at the Hankinson Community Center.
• Richland County Wildlife Club meets at 6:30 p.m. on the second Monday of the month at JT’s on Highway 11 for shoot, followed by 8 p.m. meeting. During the winter months it meets at 8 p.m. on the second Monday of the month at Hot Cakes Cafe & Lodging, Hankinson.
• Hankinson Sons of the American Legion meets at 7 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at the Community Center.
• Hankinson Commercial Club meets at 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month, usually at the American Legion Memorial Site, rural Hankinson. All businesses are invited to attend and encouraged to join.
• Humane Society of Richland-Wilkin meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Humane Society Shelter. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Mantador Quarterly Meetings will meet at 8 p.m. on the last Tuesday of the month in March, June, September and December at the Mantador VFW.
• Hankinson American Legion Auxiliary meets at 7 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month with a meal and meeting to follow at Hankinson Community Center.
To submit your meeting notices and club news contact the staff of the News-Monitor by phone 701-642-8585, fax 701-642-1501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org We welcome all entries.