As your former Public Service Commissioner for 16 years, I demonstrated that a Republican could be a consumer advocate and fair to the companies doing business in North Dakota. Now a supporter of Measure 1, I am demonstrating that a Republican can be anti-corruption while recognizing the business interests in our great state. Measure 1 is:
• Written by North Dakotans.
• Just a few paragraphs long. Read it. It is not longer than our state constitution as some claim.
• Establishes an Ethics Commission and states that the legislative assembly shall provide adequate funds to carry out its duties. Our legislature will not appropriate “millions” for the Ethics Commission. They are too fiscally responsible.
• Establishes for North Dakotans a confidential whistleblower hotline to report wrong actions. “Confidential” does not mean anonymous callers as some claim.
• Provides that a public official may not be a lobbyist while holding office or for two years after holding office.
• Requires prompt public disclosure if a person, organization or business spends more than $200 influencing a state-wide election, elections for the legislative assembly, statewide ballot measure or state government action.
• Forbids lobbyist gifts to public officials with certain exceptions.
Don’t be fooled. The corporations and organizations who spend big money influencing North Dakota government are against this measure and are spending large amounts of money to defeat it.
Vote yes on Measure 1.